Friday, August 17, 2012

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore


Our next stop was Traverse City, to visit the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. I was excited as I got to go on this adventure. Sleeping Bear was recently voted the most beautiful place in America  and I could see why. We took a beautiful scenic drive, stopping along the way to appreciate the views. Check out this shoreline. 
And the hardy souls walking straight up (those little dots on the trail below to the left are people) 
 I was glad I could see it all
 as well as have time to run in the sand
and watch the people climb up the giant dunes. Secretly I was glad mom and dad decided not to make the treck up, I am not sure I could have made it.
 We had a nice picnic lunch on the beach












then continued to drive around the scenic Leelanau Peninsula, stopping at towns along the way
until we got to the tip to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, built in 1858.
The Leelanau Peninsula is also know for its wineries. Mom and Dad visited several that were written up in Food and Wine Magazine,  some good wine and better views than Napa.












Mom and Dad really liked the 2 Lads Winery on the tip of the neighboring Old Mission Peninsula. The winery was very modern, right out of Dwell magazine.


with a sweeping view of the bay from the concrete bar in the winery.

All in all. a great time!
Adios,
Yuki








No comments:

Post a Comment