Thursday, August 15, 2019

Central Wyoming

Hi,
Can you see me? Mom left me on guard patrol here in Buffalo, Wyoming. Got to make sure there are no intruders!  On the way to Buffalo, we stopped to see

It was truly majestic to see it rising up against the sky. In 1909 President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed Devils Tower the first national monument.



After we checked out the monument it was my favorite time - lunch! Yuki and I jumped up next to mom for our turkey pieces.
Then I decided to reposition myself between dad and Jerry who were still eating in the hopes they would give me some more.
On the way to Buffalo, I was lucky to spot two antelopes by the side of the road.
That night mom shelled the peas she got when we visited our friends last week who lived in the mountains.
I had no idea that peas were so sweet. I even learned to shell my own.
Buffalo is a quaint old western town tucked between the rolling plains of the Black Hills and the rugged summit of the Bighorn Mountains.  The Occidental Hotel was founded in 1880.
Author Craig Johnson created Longmire’s fictional county of Absaroka and town of Durant by borrowing elements from Johnson County and Buffalo.  Dad enjoyed watching the series on Netflix - but wants to see them again as they were set in Buffalo.
Buffalo’s Busy Bee Cafe, was a regular stop for fictional Sherrif  Walt Longmire. Johnson’s books often describe Longmire walking into the Busy Bee and asking for “the usual".

The next day we got in the car to take a drive through the Crazy Woman Canyon. There are several versions of how the canyon got its name but the locals' favor it came from a white settler who was pushed to Insanity when Indians murdered and scalped her husband. 
It was a 5 mile drive on unpaved roads through the canyon.
When I could steady my legs enough to look out the window I saw some beautiful clifts, huge rocks, and the Crazy Woman Creek.





When we left Buffalo we drove through the Wind River Canyon to the town of Lander. We had to go through 3 tunnels.   I just closed my eyes until we were out.


When we got to Lander we stayed in a great RV park  on a hill overlooking the town

Yuki and I were so excited to see green grass again.

The best part was sitting outside and we got to sit with Charlie. She does a great job of rubbing my back.
Yuki loved being in his chair

while I proceeded to get tangled up on my long leash.

I almost made it to the next campsite.

We were allowed to stay up late so we could see the beautiful sunset
Going....
 Going.....


Gone!
Yuki and I were so tired from staying up late that we slept most of the next day. 
Mom stayed home today while dad, Charlie & Jerry toured the area. Of course, she had to ruin my sleep so I could work on this blog. It sure takes me a long time to put this together so I hope you all enjoy it!  Comments appreciated.  Now I can relax...
Adios,
Brody (& Yuki)





No comments:

Post a Comment