Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bonavista Peninsula


Greetings,

I decided to let mom share the "blog shot" with Brody and me as she is the one who helps me when I am writing this. Thank goodness for spell checker!

Our next trip was on "The Discovery Trail" where John Cabot is reported to have first made landfall in 1497.The night before we started on the trail we "boondocked" (means not staying in an RV park) at the North Atlantic Aviation Museum in Gander.
 Mom and Dad enjoyed the museum, which portrayed the history of the Gander airport. It was the primary re-fueling stop for planes in the earlier years of aviation, and a major strategic airbase in World War II. More recently it was where planes destined for the US on 9/11 were diverted and the town opened up its arms to feed and house all the stranded passengers.

What Brody and I liked the most was the private park for us to play in at night after all the tourists left.







The next day we got up early and drove the Discovery trail, on the Bonavista Peninsula, stopping to park our motorhome at a park for three nights. Then we took off to visit the quaint old restored town of Trinity.The colorful town on the water is home to several historic points of interest.
 

In the 1700's, Trinity competed with St. John's as a center of culture and wealth.
 








The smallpox vaccine was introduced to North America here by a local rector.
 Later that day we took a hike on the famous Skirwink Trail, billed as one of the most scenic hikes in North America and I could see why. 
Although mom and dad didn't look at the trail guide before they started and so I was surprised to find it was a long longer and harder than I thought it would be, especially for this 10+ year old body, but I think I did pretty good! And I sure liked the views!















 Wait a minute, I think she should be carrying me, not Brody, he has the energy of 
 10 of me!
 The next day we drove to Elliston, the root cellar capital of the world.
 



Elliston is also home to the world's most accessible Atlantic Puffin breeding site. 
Brody and I were excited we got to go on the hike to see them. No Brody, that's not a real one.

When we got to the first rock, I was disappointed as all I could see was one lonely puffin.


 











But then we hiked up a hill to the next big overlook and I saw what looked like a Puffin Convention. 













They were everywhere,


And so cute!



 I loved watching them fly
Then we went on to Bonavista. It is here where John Cabot is thought to have first spied land in the New World during his 1497 voyage from Britain.

We went to the cape to see the lighthouse



We also stopped to look at The Dungeon, a massive collapsed sea cave formed by the relentless wave action of the North Atlantic.


Brody was more interested in looking at the horses playing











and eating ice cream from the tourist.

Mom and dad had one of their best meals at Mufflins Teahouse - seafood chowder and salt cod cakes. They said it was delicious. I guess I'll have to take their word for it as they didn't even bring us a taste.











The last day we took another hike in Knights Cove. We started at an old church heading for a lighthouse


and headed down a long trail

Until we finally got  to the lighthouse
Mom and dad had another great lunch at the Bonavista Social Club -
Dad was thrilled that they made fresh bread and he bought a loaf to take home. They had another great lunch,  a pizza and a moose burger (and saved some for us). Brody had more fun watching the goats play while mom and dad had lunch.

Adios,
Yuki and Brody




1 comment:

  1. Puffin interesting and colorful looking bird
    Beautiful country side.

    ReplyDelete