Friday, May 9, 2014

On Top of Old Smoky

Hi,
I was excited to visit the Great Smoky Mountains and was anxious to get to the top!











Only to find out that
dogs were not allowed on the 1/2 mile uphill trail to the top to Clingman's Dome. Maybe I'm glad I wasn't allowed to go as I heard it was a very steep uphill trail. But mom and dad hiked up and at the top was a big lookout tower.



Mom and dad had some great views from the top.








Later I was allowed to get out and stretch my feet a bit. I was looking all over for dad, who was somewhere below.
Then mom found me and pointed him out.








Oh yeah, I see him now.
But then I looked in the other direction and what did I see
No dogs allowed on the Appalachian Trail. Guess mom and dad will have to miss that one. 

We drove through the park from the North Carolina side to the Tennessee side. I spotted some deer on the way.
We were sure glad we hadn't come in the summer, or when the leaves change color in the fall. There is only one main road through the park and it would be bumper to bumper traffic. When we reached the Tennessee side we went to Cades Cove. In the middle of the 19th century over 100 families lived here. We stopped to look at what remained of their homesteads.

Old churches











barns
 and even a working grist mill













The one way road through Cades Cove was narrow, with lots of curves. 







Dad saw this sign and thought of his biking buddies.
We had a great time. Next stop, Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Adios, 
Yuk




No comments:

Post a Comment